From cold start, the engine runs rough/misfires for a couple of minutes then smooths out. Will not repeat until another cold start. Possible glowplug codes stored.
Fault in glowplug elements and controller, combined with excessive carbon build up creates a smooth running issue.
Connect your Autologic device and carry out a quick test.
If you only have faults for glowplugs, or a glowplug controller fault, then please proceed as follows:
- Remove the inlet manifold.
- Inspect for carbon build up on the back of the inlet valves and in the inlet ports. Carry out a cylinder head de-coke to remove the excessive carbon deposits. This can be done without removing the head.
- Clean/replace the inlet manifold.
- Fit genuine glowplugs and controller.
- Update the DDE as there is modified software to improve the smooth running and use of the glowplugs from a cold start.